Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I Can See Ahead of Me



I Can See Ahead of Me from Lucy B. on Vimeo.

I took the approach of forming a video idea from the vague ideas of “time” and “space” and then applying the reading to my final product. My very general idea at the beginning was to show the passage of time through filming every time I walked somewhere (the changing sky also helps) and speeding it up, and to show space by the various places that I walked within the wide and yet constricted space of the Lawrence campus.

Now I find that the final product relates to the passage, “Information pours upon us, instantaneously and continuously. As soon as information is acquired, it is very rapidly replaced by still newer information” (63). What seems like a clear path gets extremely confusing and overwhelming with the speed and the blur. The viewer is bombarded with shaky, confusing images, but can still make out that it is meant to be a path to somewhere. The real-time footsteps in the background could be metaphorical of us attempting to catch up with all the new information. Yet, the footsteps also somehow work with the video, and the door opening at the end matches with the video as well, so this could mean that we are caught up. It is open for interpretation.


The title comes from something that I said to my friend while recording that I thought I might try to put into the final product, but it didn’t quite fit, so it is only in the title. It seemed appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. The footsteps really make this an interesting play with time and space because it is so disconnected in terms of reality from what's happening visually, but nevertheless connected in the mind of the viewer as he/she recognizes footsteps. Reminds me of Brakhage's Mothlight and his other experimental frame-by-frame films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that it feels connected even though it's filmed at different times. I also appreciated the snippets of Lawrence I saw in the footage because they reminded me of walking the same paths every day and how it feels to kind of glaze over them in your mind, thanks to the repetition of the action. The footsteps were a nice contrast to the speed of the film.

    ReplyDelete

What?