Monday, February 2, 2015

This Is Happening

Something is indeed happening. It is this. This Is Happening.

McLuhan said that “Environments are invisible. Their groundrules, pervasive structure, and overall patterns elude easy perception” (84-85). My photographs are presented as a series of diptychs, paired together aesthetically and to show some mysterious glimpses into the environment in which we live, here on campus. In the spirit of Robert Frank, I walked around with my camera and photographed things around me at random, narrowing them down and piecing them together later.




I uploaded the photographs to Flickr in the order that they appear in my Blurb book. It will definitely be more effective in the book, because one cannot view them as diptychs, as they are meant to be seen, on Flickr. While Flickr is a great way to share photographs, the site should offer more ways to customize the way that you present your work. As for Blurb, it took some time to figure out how to fiddle around with all the various aspects to get it just right, but it was definitely sufficiently customizable.​

3 comments:

  1. I agree that considering how photographs are presented, especially in tandem, is very important. It's interesting that you address Flickr's inability to meet this concept, especially because I don't usually think about paper and digital media in the same way, at least spatially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!!!!! The spreads go together very well. I like the similarities between color, or form, or composition on every page. I'm a fan of the way that you took your pictures (random, instinctual). I think it produces a really free and aesthetically focused series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your project perfectly captures the essence of our assignment. I like your approach of taking pictures without specific intent. It captures the same spontaneity and beauty of Robert Frank's work that we are trying to emulate.

    ReplyDelete

What?